I can’t remember what string of unhealthy things we ate a few weeks ago, but I can remember that by the end of the week we were in serious need of a big bowl of greens. I’d been wanting to make some sort of grain and veggie bowl since I saw this recipe in Food & Wine earlier this year, and although I veered far from that recipe, the idea was the same: healthy grains plus veggies plus protein. There were a lot of elements cooked separately but simultaneously, so it all came together pretty quickly. We started the pot of rice first, prepped and roasted the tofu and broccoli, and thawed the edamame and chopped the cilantro while the kale was cooking on the stove. Simple, filling, delicious.
In the bowl:
- Brown rice sautéed with sliced ginger, a serrano pepper, and garlic and then cooked in 50/50 water and coconut cream (ok, not totally healthy, but it was what I had)
- Kale, sautéed in coconut oil
- Broccoli, tossed in coconut oil and roasted
- Tofu, pressed then quickly marinated in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, agave syrup, lime juice, and maybe a few spices, and then roasted until browned
- Cilantro and lime wedges to garnish